This is a fun movie, with marvelous performances by Laughton, Dietrich and
Lanchester. Even the usually mediocre Tyrone Power fits his role to a tee.
It's the best filming of a Christie mystery that I've seen.
If you haven't seen it, though, read no further. For those of you who have,
I would like to point out one relatively large flaw in the plot. Much is
made during the final scene of Christine Helm's perjury. She even agrees
with Sir Wilfred that she will go to prison, but teases, "it won't be for
life, will it?"
Is it possible that neither Christine Helm, Sir Wilfred Robarts, Billy
Wilder, nor Dame Agatha herself noticed the rather stunning fact that every
word Frau Helm spoke on the stand was the absolute truth? The revelation of
the final plot twist could have been that much more dramatic had she asked
Sir Wilfred, in their moments alone together at the end, "Perjury? What
perjury? I committed no perjury. Leonard was guilty as charged. And all I
testified about the letters was that I wrote them, not that they were true.
They can't touch him, and they can't touch me, either."
It's possible that the book ends differently, and this flaw was introduced
in the adaptation. Not having the book handy, I can't verify it one way or
the other.
Popular Posts
-
This is one of the best "trial movies" ever made. It's an outstanding film that is just as good today as it was almost 50 ye...
-
Charlie Chaplin was funny. Charles Laughton was witty. As good as 'Witness For The Prosecution' is---Agatha Christie's story, th...
-
Witness for the Prosecution is, as IMDb voters cann attest, a great movie. A clever, character-driven courtroom drama, it deserved the Acade...
-
This is a fun movie, with marvelous performances by Laughton, Dietrich and Lanchester. Even the usually mediocre Tyrone Power fits his role ...
-
Clint Eastwood's storytelling gives the western genre one of its most sublime story's. Gone is the trademark mysterious hero and in ...
-
Contains Spoilers Who would have thought it? During the eighties, when the cinematic Western was at its lowest ebb, I doubt if anyone coul...
-
Let me explain. The best book on music I've ever read is "The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven", by Charles Rose...
-
Leonard Steven Vole finds himself on trial for the murder of a wealthy widow from whom he has inherited a fortune. Top barrister Sir Wilfr...
-
WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! The Billy Wilder touch adds cynical wit to his sparkling adaptation of Dame Agatha Christie's play WITNESS FOR ...
-
" Unforgiven " may well be Clint Eastwood's greatest triumph as an actor and director. In this grim, dark, and yet strangel...
Blogger news
Un produs Blogger.