I love it when a movie captivates me, carries me along, then surprises
me at the end. This is a masterpiece of human maneuvering. It has
outstanding acting and a plot to die for. This is a fairly pedestrian
Agatha Christie short story. I'm not saying it's not a wonderful story,
just that it doesn't come to life like it does on the screen. Charles
Laughton is the wonder barrister who is taking the case, even though he
is in poor health.
The murder case seems a relatively simple one until
we begin to trip over the many layers left lying on the path. Marlene
Dietrich does a masterful job in all her roles (I won't say anymore
than that so I don't spoil the ending). Tyrone Power is able to balance
his pathos and his potential guilt. The beauty of the movie is that it
never takes itself too seriously. There are some modestly funny
subplots and a great deal of careful investigation. I guarantee you
that once you start watching, you won't be able to turn it off.
Popular Posts
-
This is one of the best "trial movies" ever made. It's an outstanding film that is just as good today as it was almost 50 ye...
-
Charlie Chaplin was funny. Charles Laughton was witty. As good as 'Witness For The Prosecution' is---Agatha Christie's story, th...
-
Witness for the Prosecution is, as IMDb voters cann attest, a great movie. A clever, character-driven courtroom drama, it deserved the Acade...
-
This is a fun movie, with marvelous performances by Laughton, Dietrich and Lanchester. Even the usually mediocre Tyrone Power fits his role ...
-
Clint Eastwood's storytelling gives the western genre one of its most sublime story's. Gone is the trademark mysterious hero and in ...
-
Contains Spoilers Who would have thought it? During the eighties, when the cinematic Western was at its lowest ebb, I doubt if anyone coul...
-
Let me explain. The best book on music I've ever read is "The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven", by Charles Rose...
-
Leonard Steven Vole finds himself on trial for the murder of a wealthy widow from whom he has inherited a fortune. Top barrister Sir Wilfr...
-
WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! The Billy Wilder touch adds cynical wit to his sparkling adaptation of Dame Agatha Christie's play WITNESS FOR ...
-
" Unforgiven " may well be Clint Eastwood's greatest triumph as an actor and director. In this grim, dark, and yet strangel...
Blogger news
Un produs Blogger.