I will keep this review short and simple. Unforgiven lives up to its
name as I have still not forgiven it. Richard Harris portrays one of
the weakest characters I have ever seen in a film. Despite being listed
as a star of the film, he barely features. He arrives in town, acts
rather stereotypically English, gets beaten up for said actions and
leaves. The end. Gene Hackman is laughable as Little Bill, with a name
that makes him sound like an Indian war chief than the hardened Sheriff
that he is supposed to be. The way in which he plays his character is
like a detective in Murder She Wrote...only with less life and even
worse acting. When the prostitute gets her face cut up I half expected
Angela Lansbury to burst in with a piece of evidence linking the saloon
owner to the crime. 'Bill; I think I know who did this, but I need your
help to prove it...' It would have been more entertaining certainly.
This brings me neatly to Clint. Oh where did you go wrong.
One minute
you're a mysterious preacher in Pale Rider and then you are a cardiac
waiting to happen like an extra out of Dads Army who keeps falling off
his horse... The only person who brings some redemption to this film is
Morgan Freeman who, tragically is killed by the producers before he can
make a true impact on the film, for being mildly entertaining. The
question really, is just how much worse could this film be? With its
all star pantomime cast, it could be tricky to pull off, though no
doubt the producers could still nick a few coins from all our pockets.
If you want a good classic western, pick up Appaloosa or Pale Rider.
These are far more entertaining and do not stereotype the Englishman as
a t**t.
Popular Posts
-
This is one of the best "trial movies" ever made. It's an outstanding film that is just as good today as it was almost 50 ye...
-
Charlie Chaplin was funny. Charles Laughton was witty. As good as 'Witness For The Prosecution' is---Agatha Christie's story, th...
-
Witness for the Prosecution is, as IMDb voters cann attest, a great movie. A clever, character-driven courtroom drama, it deserved the Acade...
-
This is a fun movie, with marvelous performances by Laughton, Dietrich and Lanchester. Even the usually mediocre Tyrone Power fits his role ...
-
Clint Eastwood's storytelling gives the western genre one of its most sublime story's. Gone is the trademark mysterious hero and in ...
-
Contains Spoilers Who would have thought it? During the eighties, when the cinematic Western was at its lowest ebb, I doubt if anyone coul...
-
Let me explain. The best book on music I've ever read is "The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven", by Charles Rose...
-
Leonard Steven Vole finds himself on trial for the murder of a wealthy widow from whom he has inherited a fortune. Top barrister Sir Wilfr...
-
WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! The Billy Wilder touch adds cynical wit to his sparkling adaptation of Dame Agatha Christie's play WITNESS FOR ...
-
" Unforgiven " may well be Clint Eastwood's greatest triumph as an actor and director. In this grim, dark, and yet strangel...
Blogger news
Un produs Blogger.